The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-17 18:27:24

unter

MOT test broke my steering and exhaust on my citroen c2

Can you believe it, my mother took her much loved citroen c2 in for a MOT at Quick fit,
I thought it should pass easily becaue it works perfectly,
but it failed on exhaust leak at backbox.
then upon driving away she noticed the steering was super heavy, they then tried to explain
that somehow their testing of the steering had switched off the power steering! 
so they somehow sitche dit back on, she drove off and it got louder and louder, now sounds like exhaust is detached,
ive already ordered a new backbox so i will fit that myself.
so what could possibly have "switched off" the power steering?
and i will assume the MOT test person picked away some rust which exposed the blowing exhaust, which btw always sounded ok, no obvious blowing.
very disturbing! what did they do to my mothers car?

Choo Choo, got a good train on today.

#2 2020-11-17 23:17:34

kenbw2

Re: MOT test broke my steering and exhaust on my citroen c2

unter wrote:

Can you believe it, ... at Quick fit,

I believe everything you're about to say roll

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2020-11-17 23:47:52

Casper

My wife Fiat has electric power steering so technically it could be turned off. Years back a mate worked for Tom Farmers Quick Fit and he will vouch that every horror story you hear about them loosening stuff to get more cash from customers or breaking stuff IS TRUE.

#4 2020-11-18 13:12:55

vaz2121

My vehicles will never ever cast a shadow on/at quickfit ever even if it's the last place on Earth the car will rot away first..................

It was a long long time ago when my Father was still working (Self employed) He's 94 now and he had a 83 Granada at the time it had only one month before past it's test with flying colours (Test was done after a service and  massive spend at local Ford dealers IIRC) He decided it wanted tyres replacing although they had about two mm left at least (again IIRC ...They still had a good bit of meat on them ........ decent runners if necessary)winter was coming and he wanted it done........

We went into quickfit and 4 tyres duly fitted ......... To then be-told the car has massive oil leaks from all the dampers {shockers} and they would all need replacing .........
On showing us the proof of all this carnage {They got and I'll refrain from repeating the abuse I bestowed upon their professional qualifications}........

{Fitter & Manager} They tried to convince us of how dangerous the car was and that the water from the damp/wet road was actually oil leaking from the dampers .............

Needless to say other than the Mouth full and my anger father paid for tyres and we left Never ever to return..........
{I've another story About ATS [involved father again] pulling a fast one on my account with them........ Their all at it give an inch... take a mile}
And how the ex-MRS left the mk 3 diesel golf at Quickfit for Mot a good few yrs ago.....That I've got back again ........ [explains a lot!]

#5 2020-11-18 16:51:38

vaz2121

unter wrote:

Can you believe it, my mother took her much loved citroen c2 in for a MOT at Quick fit,
I thought it should pass easily becaue it works perfectly,
but it failed on exhaust leak at backbox.
then upon driving away she noticed the steering was super heavy, they then tried to explain
that somehow their testing of the steering had switched off the power steering! 
so they somehow sitche dit back on, she drove off and it got louder and louder, now sounds like exhaust is detached,
ive already ordered a new backbox so i will fit that myself.
so what could possibly have "switched off" the power steering?
and i will assume the MOT test person picked away some rust which exposed the blowing exhaust, which btw always sounded ok, no obvious blowing.
very disturbing! what did they do to my mothers car?

On reading your post again  I'd say Doesn't every car have foibles... But if testing can affect the power steering in that manor I'd like to see where it says in their advice section of the test to test for this failure or look to avoid costs invovled by warning you of the possibility of such (I.e A Cam belt failure).... I think they pulled a fuse or a wire/plug off............

As for the exhaust if it's crispy but not burst should inform you of impending failure not make it fail there and then (Hence light toffe hammer for sills [anyone could beat a hole with a big enough hammer] or if covered  and can't see/get to it for test ........... assume good..........
But with an exhaust you try and prove he didn't pick a hole at a crispy section...........
They have an incentive to repair as well as test
as I said it still happens.........

{I found another  garage that does good work but lacks the finesse of some of the finishing}
Maybe in a commercial workman vehicle but not looking for ham fisted workmanship out the door ASAP here

Board footer