The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 23:18:39

Ricko

I'm guilty...

...of lusting after the newer shape Dispatch.

My old girl is having a rest on the drive and I found myself staring at a younger model.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#2 2021-01-06 01:42:49

kenbw2

Re: I'm guilty...

Blasphemy! You're drawn in by the curvaceous body and fancy electronics, but you'll miss the Mk1's wind noise at the sliding doors, and the unreliable dashboard.

Not gonna lie though, I do like me a bit of that LWB Mk2

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2021-01-06 20:14:16

JohnDragonMan
Website

too..  "computery" for my liking. basic ECU that only needs 3 sensors to run please. the other sensors are for fine tuning.

when i replaced the timing belt and clutch on mine i spent an extra 300 to 400 quid on renewing things like wishbones, bushes, boots, ALL fluids, complete front struts, the 3 important engine sensors, and some other bits (it already had new brakes front and back or i would have done them too) i also completely rust proofed the underside including extensive cavity rust proofing.. even in the front sub frame!

im now pretty confident that it would take me around the world before needing work doing to it again (bar yearly service or ever 6k miles!).

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#4 2021-01-07 02:24:28

Ricko

JohnDragonMan wrote:

too..  "computery" for my liking. basic ECU that only needs 3 sensors to run please. the other sensors are for fine tuning.

when i replaced the timing belt and clutch on mine i spent an extra 300 to 400 quid on renewing things like wishbones, bushes, boots, ALL fluids, complete front struts, the 3 important engine sensors, and some other bits (it already had new brakes front and back or i would have done them too) i also completely rust proofed the underside including extensive cavity rust proofing.. even in the front sub frame!

im now pretty confident that it would take me around the world before needing work doing to it again (bar yearly service or ever 6k miles!).

What were the three important engine sensors out of interest?

My big question has to be my sills, I've put a few patches on. If I commit to replacing the sills I'll keep her.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#5 2021-01-07 07:24:35

dRoyd

Don’t be taken in by looks .... I drive a brand new Peugeot every day at work. Ok it’s the Partner variety but whenever I get into my old Expert I smile. Much nicer despite its rattles and really comfortable to drive!

#6 2021-01-07 21:10:47

Casper

Not a fan myself. If only we got the LWB of the MK1 here as i could do with a foot or two longer in the back. I also would have kept my Pug Expert camper. I would have added height and did a posher refit.

#7 2021-01-07 21:27:31

ruston

Well I have recently changed, swapped my 2006 Dispatch 2.0 hdi for a 2007 version.  Rusty sills were the reason for changing, I'm not up to laying on the floor so decided to take the plunge and 'upgrade' if that's the right term!  The folk I bought it from bought my old one for £250 and are going to patch it up to get a MOT on it, shouldn't be an issue as they own a test station haha.

I miss the old van, this one has good and bad points.  The battery under the cab floor is a pain as my foot keeps dislodging the panel in the floor covering it while driving or getting in or out of it.  It does go well though, and is better on fuel with the six speed gearbox. Far more room in the rear as well.  Steering is nicer, it hasn't got any cruise control or air con etc but I'm not bothered about that, the old van didn't have them either.  We will see what it's like long term, with lockdown and tier 4 it hasn't been far yet.

Pete.

#8 2021-01-08 13:04:25

tee_cee

The old van had a few issues, broken gear linkage in Spain, broken front spring on the drive the day before the ferry to Ireland, front brake pads in France (twice), broken aux belt in Ireland, noisy aux belt in France (never got to the bottom of it) and a stuck stop solenoid in Greece. Sound a lot now that I list it out, but this was over 5 year and 50,000 miles. However with some rust starting on the sills, I decided to change for a newer model.
So I looked for a van with A/C and more than the meagre 70bhp and since the old van worked out cheaply for me, I'd spend a bit more on something a bit newer than the 2002 model.

Bought a 2015 ATV 130bhp and set about converting it. Nice to drive, loads of power, and because of the boxy shape a bit more room inside.
Downsides is the stupid battery control system, that turns the radio off and won't let you wind down the windows without restarting the engine.

Anyway story short, it broke down on the first trip to France, and then took 1.5 years and £5k to fix.
Seems like nobody really wants to touch modern common rail diesels, other than change the oil and polish the filter. It's also my opinion that Peugeots part supply chain in the UK is broken  - I've had several parts go on back order, no forecast.

So I've spent more on this van after one 6 week trip than the whole cost of the old van, including all the maintenance over the previous 5 years.
As @JohnDragonMan says the old van could go round the world, this van I would not trust.

#9 2021-01-19 13:12:52

vaz2121

I thought I was just becoming an old fuddy duddy with rose coloured glasses on for what was............

But it seems my anger and train of thought is shared by others as JohnDragonMan,Casper,etc  and as tee-cee eloquently put have Said..........

I to have been guilty of lusting after a newer van.......
But then realise that I got the 306 [11yrs ago now...... Doesn't time fly when your enjoying yourself/busy] for that very reason of Simplicity and reliability as was the Van

I don't pamper my vehicles like a wean /child..........
But do maintain them and they get what they need  as and when............{within reason}

It's a labour of love. a catch 22
Supposedly the older a vehicle the more you'll need in maintainance a running repairs ............
And if it sits doing nothing it seizes up ........use it or loose it..........

but the argument is long gone IMHO ......
When No longer Craftsmanship and quality materials equals a quality vehicle but how many toys and Play Stations its got ....Does matter ........
And next week none of the toys work then what .............

Last edited by vaz2121 (2021-01-19 13:13:45)

#10 2021-01-19 21:19:01

OAT

vaz2121 wrote:

When No longer Craftsmanship and quality materials equals a quality vehicle but how many toys and Play Stations its got ....Does matter ........
And next week none of the toys work then what .............

I am still shaking my head over an add for one of the big 4wd off road pickups.  Don't remember which make but what struck me was that the stand out, must have item. the "specification" most pushed in the add, was... limited edition decals!

I don't know how much they are, must be 30 - £40,000 and more, and their USP is... stickers.

#11 2021-01-20 14:13:06

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

I am still shaking my head over an add for one of the big 4wd off road pickups.  Don't remember which make but what struck me was that the stand out, must have item. the "specification" most pushed in the add, was... limited edition decals!

I don't know how much they are, must be 30 - £40,000 and more, and their USP is... stickers.

Don't get me started...it's not just vehicles it's just about everything..........
Obviously I'm a fully payed up member of "The Grumpy Old man Club" and some Rose tinted specs are present for what used to be along with a feeling the world is going mad

As someone who earned a living from a vehicle one way or another since passing my class one HGV in 1979 and using it to its full potential from about 1982/83.........
when the Falklands conflict was happening and the dangers of (Mistaken ID) truck driving under bridges during the miners strike
{I remember exactly where I was driving at the time of the early morning news bulitin and it was announced " Storming Norman had sent in the troops to get Saddam" and the same with Pan Am 109)

I averaged on UK work around 1800 miles a week ..........
On European work with obviously less hustle of loading and unloading  3300 miles a week {My 1635 Mercedes {I bought it at 2yrs old and 500,000km sold it 4yrs later with 980,000 kms (It did UK work) and averaged 6MPG [38 tons gross] loaded, The whole time I owned it (I said it was built at 5 to 5 on Friday the 13th because of issues with it) .... I had an Iveco [Fiat]190/42 on loan/test [trying to sell it to me] for a few weeks it got as low as 4.5MPG among other failures in one particular week of Fruit and veg work [Needless to Say it was returned] No purchase I had high hopes for it.......

I spent many an hour under Jubilee way in Dover waiting to clear customs ...........
Being able to do that mileage week in week out......... with minimal down time and reliability with reaching the dizzy heights of eventualy then 7mpg was Crucial................
To the later use of our Scania 164 [530 BHP] it could manage 10ish MPG if you worked hard at achieving this running at 44 tons gross....... And I thought it was strangled

Now To hear what Hoops the Cab Happy younger guys are having to jump through and what's needed to put up with..... both Vehicle issues and legislation ETC to earn a crust........
I'm glad I'm very much in the twilight of working needs and have Now given up my fleet (That's a joke.... I fought tooth and nail to keep 4 on the go and was always the last to be fed even after the Horse as it carried the burden.... (On the sunniest of Days a little black cloud was always above my head and followed me about)........

I was told when I started out and Green as the hills ....."The job was Fu **** then"

Everything is a compromise of some sort........
Between cost of investment, needs, desires and the bottom line of return

The quest for cheaper goods and to make a profit has brought us here and apparently it's our [generation] fault that the world is polluted with throw away  plastic sh**.............
But we used to take lemonade bottles back for a cash refund (I remember collecting bottles when driving a Bin lorry)  and didn't we return glass milk bottles for washing and re-use also ............ I remember dropping off crates of milk for doorstop deliveries.. all be it nine elms, London (Near Covent Garden Market and the original Vauxhall factory)

Who wanted Tetrapaks and throw away blow mold plastic bottles? and why..............
I worked in the Milk  processing industry for a few years on supermarket "NRC" Amongst other areas/depts........... Non Returnable Containers
{Even back then about 65% of the milk we dealt with was French............ Now what

Did you know that Volvo cars is A Swedish car maker and relatively expensive.............

Yet are owned by a company called Geely (Chinese) Have 1 manufacturing factory in Sweden But 3 in China?..............
And Obviously full of china bits ...............Talk about resting on laurels and to cheapen a brand

That's only 1 example..................

Please excuse us Ricko for the off topic chat/hijack of thread................

Last edited by vaz2121 (2021-01-20 14:15:54)

Board footer