The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-12 07:44:40

MichelleG

Advice for selling my Expert

Hi All
My lovely little van (2006 expert) failed its MOT back in November and was returned to me as a non runner from the garage! The failures were some corrosion (including subframe) and it failed on emissions - they told me it filled the garage with black smoke on the test. While I could accept the corrosion issue it was a shock to get a phone call to tell me that my super reliable van which wasn't emitting any smoke at all in my 18 months of ownership was suddenly a non runner!! It's like it crossed the garage threshold and died! Anyway I got the van home where it has sat on the drive way ever since while I decide what to do.  I don't want to scrap it as it's too good for that (body work is immaculate from the sills up! And I had windows fitted in rest doors) But as it's a non runner I'd have to spend money to find out what's wrong with engine before I even get started on the MOT work (priced up with a local budget mechanic at approx £900 for labour/welding and parts)...I've had to buy a little SUV for now as needed wheels, and if I could get it done a bit at a time I would but it would need to at least be running for that option! be happy to see if go to an enthusiast/home mechanic who would appreciate the van...not sure where to start with trying to sell it - it'd sell for £1800 plus with MOT & running so I'd like to get a few hundred for it at least - any advice/help/similar experiences would be welcome - sorry for long post !!IMG_20190619_172147283_HDR.jpegIMG_20190619_172147283_HDR.jpegIMG_20190619_172147283_HDR.jpegmini_IMG_20190619_172147283_HDR.jpeg

Last edited by MichelleG (2021-02-12 07:46:21)

#2 2021-02-12 15:20:59

tee_cee

Re: Advice for selling my Expert

That's a real shame, it looks lovely.
Are you saying it does not even start anymore?
I can't quite see the reg number to see the MOT report

#3 2021-02-12 23:24:15

vaz2121

tee_cee wrote:

That's a real shame, it looks lovely.
Are you saying it does not even start anymore?
I can't quite see the reg number to see the MOT report

I'll concur with tee_cee "It's a real shame"..........

Looks can be decieving if poorly maintained .....I will say shiney on top doesn't mean solid underneath as an acquaintance of mine was to prove to me with their subframe and lower control arms...........
A rotten sub frame shouldn't be the end of the world ..........sourcing a good second hand and have it fitted......................

"Yes it costs" But this sounds very much like what happened to the acquaintance of mine............
Their subframe was rotten and needed work or replacement........... No question.............
But what was and I'm saying nothing more than the question "Did the MOT/Garage man discover some rot/crispyness and use a little more than the stated toffee hammer to check how solid...............
Beat heavily enough with something other on good sound metal it will hole................

Also With you saying it was returned as a non runner sounds iffy to me if it ran so perfectly prior............

Did the MOT/Garage man find some foibles and fancy it for themself with a Little work ?..........
Very hard to prove............
But not the first time..............
But if your being honest with yourself and this scenario raises Suspicion

"If it were me" See how bad total rot's needed dealing with [on vehicle not fail sheet.....Use it as a guide] and why it's now a non runner could be as simple as replacing a good fuse with a dud to stop it in it;s tracks...........
Obviously it's all more cost effective if you can [DIY] use your own Labour..................

As tee_cee says with the reg number and seeing data showing falure sheet could/should be a better indicator for us

Last edited by vaz2121 (2021-02-12 23:37:16)

#4 2021-02-13 15:16:26

MichelleG

Thanks both! Yes I did think it was a bit iffy re garage returning it as a non runner, was at a loss what to do about it though sad
Reg below so you can check out MOT etc - the guy who brought the van home from the garage (hes a local semi retired mechanic not affiliated to garage) had a quick look over the van and got a quote for parts including a replacement catalytic converter etc total was approx £260 including VAt - new subframe was not included in quote as it seems there's a wide range of prices for that but then add on welding & labour (including removal of tow bar rather than repair) ...he then left it with me to decide what to do ? I got a good 18 months out of it including trips to Scotland from Cornwall on the original MOT as it had 12 months when I bought it in May 2019 then with lockdown last there was the 6month grace period on top but still a shame as I had zero issues with it the whole time! I had another expert before this one for 8 years and I do love them ... Anyway reg is WG56 YBC - thanks again both and look forward to more chats!

#5 2021-02-13 15:30:31

MichelleG

Forgot to add that no it doesn't start at all anymore  - battery has gone flat now but prior to that I tried turning the key and all lights came on but it wouldn't fire up - the MOT garage said the tried diagnostic on it but couldn't work out the problem but not sure how much investigation they really did! There wasn't even a dashboard light on when I dropped it off and it started first time every time for daily use in all weathers. I've heard that when garages do the emissions test on cars/vans that haven't been thrashed they can  cause failures that aren't evident in normal use.  The other weird thing is the garage didn't even seem to want the work - they were reluctant to give me an accurate quote  they just assumed that I wouldn't want to get the work done..tbh if they'd said it's going to cost a grand for the MOT I'd probably have just got it done to keep the van on the road but when it was a non runner I think it threw me a bit and once I got it home on the trailer I was kind of stuck in a quandary haha

#6 2021-02-13 16:10:40

tee_cee

Goodness me that's a lot of stuff to afflict the van in the space of 18 months. I suspect that when the van broke, they were extra tough on the other bits to deflect from the main issue.
You are right emissions testing can stress the engine and cause damage. I'm just surprised that they have no idea what caused the issue, since they were there when it happened.
Did your mechanic talk to them about what actually happened. This might give a better insight as to whether yoru engine is beyond repair.

#7 2021-02-13 20:41:25

Casper

Very unusual colour what would make you want to keep it more but me but if i got that fail list i would tend to scrap it and get another. Easy for others to say get a good 2nd hand sub frame but there is a lot of welding to be done as well as parts and if you dont have the ability nor the tools then its not a cheap fix. How much money do you throw at it as the price could get you a nice low mile model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Expe … SwR-NgIrkc

#8 2021-02-14 08:05:03

MichelleG

Yes this is the way I'm thinking now! I may put it up on local FB pages for a few hundred £s and see if there's any interest before going down the scrap route!

#9 2021-02-19 16:19:25

snapuswip3

(long shot) does it have the glow plugs overridden onto a push button?

I was about to give up on my van having not managed to start it for 2 weeks but it turned out that the push button itself had gone bad and touching the wires it was attached to together would still heat the glow plugs (new lorry plug rated button on order...) and it started straight away!

Board footer