The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-07 17:10:06

woodbine

If you had to swap your Mk1 Scudo/Expert/Dispatch For A Brand New Van?

Which one would you choose?

Are there any vans that are still being made that would be a good repacement for the Mk1 (1999-2006) vans? What brand new van would you choose if it was to replace your Mk1?

Not sure what I would choose as I'm not really up on new stuff. One thing I don't think would be available on new vans is double sliding doors, but I could be wrong. Can't think of any other vans with this feature. Another feature on smallish/compact vans is the double passenger seat, although I would say it makes these a 2.5 seater, as a 3 seater is pushing it, especially with 3 bulky adults up front.

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Last edited by woodbine (2021-03-07 17:12:47)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#2 2021-03-07 20:10:53

OAT

Re: If you had to swap your Mk1 Scudo/Expert/Dispatch For A Brand New Van?

I don't know much about newer vans either.  But what I do know, I don't like!

I can't see anything in them that would be an improvement and lots of things that would be a dissadvantage for my useage.  Perhaps improved mpg, but any saving likely to be eaten up by higher servicing costs?

Apart from what seems to be an increasing adoption of planned obselesence and dissposable vehicles, even the basics are impractical for a full time camper.   Can you even buy a new van without such "features" as tinted and electric windows, central locking, complex emision controls and a "computer say's no" attitude?

In the longer term I realise that we will all have to move with the times.  But I think it will be a long time before any vehicle highly dependent on electronics will match the advantages of a simple diesel for an off grid camper.

Not sure if I am being ambitious or pessimistic but I am hoping my 22 year old van might see me out even if requiring an increasing injection of cash each year.

#3 2021-03-07 20:25:32

kenbw2
Administrator

OAT wrote:

Not sure if I am being ambitious or pessimistic but I am hoping my 22 year old van might see me out even if requiring an increasing injection of cash each year.

Without sounding too morbid I'm a little jealous that your van will happily see you out. Yes parts will be harder to come by, but with these vans going up to 2007 there will be plenty of body parts if not engine ones for quite some time.

Like you though I don't know or like much about modern ones, but unfortunately I know I'm going to have to cave at some point. My first thought is the Mk2 DispatchExpertScudos seem a good step up - still the nimble size, but without the curved walls and better mpg. But I just realised even those aren't new new anymore.

God, brand new. My brain doesn't even process those

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#4 2021-03-08 11:16:33

msmith

I'm checking out either a Transit connect or Caddy lwb. Bit more stealth bit more mobile. Ulez charge is forcing something newer. A 2015/16 dispatch is also on the list.

#5 2021-03-08 21:11:32

Zippypilot

It is a good question, I only bought my Citroen Dispatch 2002 2.0 about 3 years ago, yeah its giving me wallet problems right now but its just what I need for my business. Having said that, a new van these days do provide much more luxury in the cab, with Bluetooth stereos, satnav built-in to a central display, funky underbody lights when you open the doors and all sorts of gadgets like parking sensors and rear-view cameras, led lights in the interior and of course leather seats.

Having said all that, the cost of these vans is really high, and as mentioned above, servicing costs are more, the complicated computers running you and the vehicle, and in my view, much of the maintenance is beyond the home mechanic now without full diagnostic equipment.

If you want in-built satnav and Bluetooth, led lights under the doors, leather seats and reversing cameras, all can be installed (with design too) to these vans at a far less cost of a newish van with them.

Better to modify to your needs than buy an expensive idea of what manufacturer thinks is cool.

Sorry long this reply! In short is it driving all day? or just collect/drop/commute a few times a day?

Must add, been driving many types of vans for 11 years now and this one just suits me smile

Last edited by Zippypilot (2021-03-08 21:12:30)

#6 2021-03-08 23:16:04

TheCrimsonBadger

I’ve Got 15 reg Vito w447 114 CDi that seems ok ( as a work van) xlwb double sliding doors. It’s ok’ish as long as middle passenger chop off his right leg:) won’t go for new though due to lack of proper engine ( new 2.0 is crap compared to om651)

#7 2021-03-08 23:22:42

JohnDragonMan
Website

dont think i would to be honest. from what i have seen, theres that much in modern vehicles that can go wrong its not worth it. take the money spent on a new van and get your old one fully renewed... heh it will work out cheaper!

i keep toying with the idea of sticking a 2L HDI from a mk4 mondeo in my van..  but then i just think nah. its a damn good engine in my van. would be a crime to pull a perfectly good (hank hill moment) clean burning engine. really! never see it smoke even on a really cold start!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#8 2021-03-12 13:41:31

vaz2121

I wouldn't choose any unless I became masochistic and also wanted to empty my bank account

Bank account was already raided for me and memories are still raw

#9 2021-03-13 14:41:39

snapuswip3

I'd love to have a drive in the L2H2 Mk2 Dispatch / Expert, I wonder if it still drives like a bit like a car?

#10 2021-03-25 20:37:30

Ricko

I found myself looking at the Mk3 Dispatch/Expert the other day, I love my current van but these latest ones are cool!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#11 2021-03-25 21:56:49

JohnDragonMan
Website

i think the latest ones are trying there best to be a VW... i mean they have even gone the same shape hmm
no tech like low tech for me. big_smile plan on keeping mine till it gets banned/taxed off the road.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#12 2021-04-05 01:17:27

Shakes

Never going to happen

But if pushed, i'd choose a particular model of Tranny that i drove while subbying for Parcelforce a couple of years ago. No idea which variant it was, but it was a medium or long wheelbase with a short rear overhang, a low roof, rear wheel drive (i think) and quite small steel wheels (not one of the really hip swb fwd ones). Basic trim, delivery van spec.

My goodness that van was stunning. Provoked just a tinge of unfaithfulness to old Brenda ?

Last edited by Shakes (2021-04-05 01:19:25)

#13 2021-04-05 11:38:25

woodbine

JohnDragonMan wrote:

no tech like low tech for me. big_smile plan on keeping mine till it gets banned/taxed off the road.

My thoughts exactly. Keep it simple.

Like the fact that mine has no airbags or ABS. Less chances of getting stung at MOT time.

Last edited by woodbine (2021-04-05 11:39:58)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

Board footer