The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-05 11:04:17

JohanWinas

CV joint stuck, any tips?

Im trying to replace the CV joints, not had a problem getting them off on my other van, but this one is refusing!
Its a 1999 expert, 1.9L XUD9 engine.

I got a CV puller tool, clamps onto the driveshaft and then you tighten the nut to pull the CV off.
After clearing off some greese I can se that the CV is "loose" from the axel, I can move the joint in and out about half a mm or so.
So Im guessing the the retention clip is stuck in there and catching on something.

Right now the two options Im concidering is either cutting the top of the CV off, can borrow a portable bandsaw, or to order a complete driveshaft from J&R. But as Im in Sweden and this job was planned to be done over the weekend, ordering driveshafts is a bit of a pain.

Any help appreciated.

/Johan

#2 2021-04-05 12:00:53

Casper

Re: CV joint stuck, any tips?

Think it is a spring clip on the shaft you force the new CV over. Last one i did was a 306 and you did have to use fore to get them off. Luckily the CV kit came with a new clip as they broke.

#3 2021-04-05 13:12:31

vaz2121

You've had too many wheel spins and twisted the splines or their rusted in then some heat and a big hammer needed.......
Put nut on end of shaft to protect it.... 
But don't mushroom the end or your in a whole  new world of pain.............

It's a whole lot of FAF .........
But can you use the hub off the other van and remove all that in one............

#4 2021-04-05 13:19:53

JohanWinas

Well I ended up cutting the old CV in half with the angle grinder, just inside the ABS ring, took some time but was not to painfull
2.jpg

The clip was deformed, would never have been able to slide that off.
6.jpg

I went back to the box after reading the comments and found a new spring clip included, hurray!
Was expecting to have to order new clips from Peugeot and not get this done until end of the week..

Splines on the shaft was fine, just needed a good clean.
So one side is now done, just the other to go.

#5 2021-04-05 22:47:13

Stu-D
Website

Jesus that's rough, I managed to knock mines off with a mallett without an issue! - Be careful if using CV joints or shafts from JR driveshafts, you need to make sure its a 27 spline CV or it will not fit into the hub properly and or at the gearbox end, when driving you'll hear a clicking noise as the CV is not seated correctly due to the splines.

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-04-05 22:48:12)

#6 2021-04-05 22:52:58

Stu-D
Website

JohanWinas wrote:

Well I ended up cutting the old CV in half with the angle grinder, just inside the ABS ring, took some time but was not to painfull
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … /929/2.jpg

https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … /929/6.jpg

I went back to the box after reading the comments and found a new spring clip included, hurray!
Was expecting to have to order new clips from Peugeot and not get this done until end of the week..

Splines on the shaft was fine, just needed a good clean.
So one side is now done, just the other to go.

Just to reaffirm, just counted the splines on the one I marked for JR, they must have sent me 4 shafts and CV's by the time they got it right - "Be careful if using CV joints or shafts from JR driveshafts, you need to make sure its a 27 spline CV or it will not fit into the hub properly and or at the gearbox end, when driving you'll hear a clicking noise as the CV is not seated correctly due to the splines".

#7 2021-04-05 23:29:03

vaz2121

JohanWinas wrote:

Sorry... I See what is now issue I initially thought stuck in hub..............

Stu-D wrote:

Jesus that's rough, I managed to knock mines off with a mallett without an issue! - Be careful if using CV joints or shafts from JR driveshafts, you need to make sure its a 27 spline CV or it will not fit into the hub properly and or at the gearbox end, when driving you'll hear a clicking noise as the CV is not seated correctly due to the splines.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do and come out corner swinging and be prepared to be knocked down.............

It's worth noting though that you may have to count number of splines and tell them how many required...........

#8 2021-04-05 23:38:56

Stu-D
Website

vaz2121 wrote:
JohanWinas wrote:

Sorry... I See what is now issue I initially thought stuck in hub..............

Stu-D wrote:

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do and come out corner swinging and be prepared to be knocked down.............

It's worth noting though that you may have to count number of splines and tell them how many required...........

Yes buddy, JR though, I was used to using them for VW/Seat etc and were always OK, then I had this issue with the van ones, then  on m mk4 1.9 golf it was the passenger/drive side driveshaft(short) was actually about 5mm too short, so it pops out the CV when cornering etc..., i've not touched the JR ones since, I just get a OE CV and reuse the shafts etc that I've got.

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-04-05 23:40:07)

#9 2021-04-05 23:40:01

JohnDragonMan
Website

i honestly cant tell you how good a mapp gas torch works..  pretty cheap when it comes to blow torch tech.. yet way more powerful than a blow torch.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#10 2021-04-05 23:41:33

Stu-D
Website

JohnDragonMan wrote:

i honestly cant tell you how good a mapp gas torch works..  pretty cheap when it comes to blow torch tech.. yet way more powerful than a blow torch.

Yes I wish I had bought one instead of the Coleman that trys to set me and everything on fire as soon as you tip it, no matter what you do with the dial/tap/valve.

#11 2021-04-05 23:53:31

JohnDragonMan
Website

yeah...  you do still get that with mapp gas hmm just seems a much hotter flame

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#12 2021-04-06 00:05:00

vaz2121

Stu-D wrote:

Yes buddy, JR though, I was used to using them for VW/Seat etc and were always OK, then I had this issue with the van ones, then  on m mk4 1.9 golf it was the passenger/drive side driveshaft(short) was actually about 5mm too short, so it pops out the CV when cornering etc..., i've not touched the JR ones since, I just get a OE CV and reuse the shafts etc that I've got.

A Friend with a Caddy van needed CV  joints had about 4 sets and couldn't get ones to fit from supplier {Don't want to say JR and do an injustice but might have been}.........

It was the 2.0L TDI high output 140 bhp and they [supplier] were adamant they could supply but always too small...........
He ended up paying through nose for OEM  from VW..........

He's now moved onto the 1.6TDI  {No idea of the output but its chipped also. Same as before....... for more pain I assume}

#13 2021-04-06 00:11:17

Stu-D
Website

vaz2121 wrote:
Stu-D wrote:

A Friend with a Caddy van needed CV  joints had about 4 sets and couldn't get ones to fit from supplier {Don't want to say JR and do an injustice but might have been}.........

It was the 2.0L TDI high output 140 bhp and they [supplier] were adamant they could supply but always too small...........
He ended up paying through nose for OEM  from VW..........

He's now moved onto the 1.6TDI  {No idea of the output but its chipped also. Same as before....... for more pain I assume}

I'm not too familiar with the newer ones driveshaft wise, but yeah I'm always running loads of torque mapped and it does kill the CV's, usually the splines on the shaft are OK though I'm not sure if the newer ones use the same or similar.... I've seen they have a plastic sump?? wadafak? lol.

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-04-06 00:11:57)

Board footer