The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-06 12:13:33

OAT

Affect of Frost on Veg Oil?

I bought 60lt of veg oil to fill up but I didn't want to put it in as the tank was almost empty.  So I left it outside the van overnight until I could put a bit of diesel in.

After a hard frost last night, some of the containers have gone white and gloopy.

Is it possible to make it safe for use again?

I did have a small bottle frozen before and tried shaking it up and letting it stand.  The white settled out to the bottom and the rest looked ok.  As it was such a small amount though I didn't risk it. and threw it away.

Thoughts?

Last edited by OAT (2021-04-06 12:17:09)

#2 2021-04-06 21:07:07

JohnDragonMan
Website

Re: Affect of Frost on Veg Oil?

for my off road vehicle, i usually mix it with "Diesel number 1" aka kerosene. 
soon as it warms up again it will be fine.  i have ran an XUD engine on pretty much everything from transformer oil to to waste engine oils to industrial degreasant. the engine is still running great. i always find it quite impressive how most alternative diesel like fuels always make an XUD have more power than road/red diesel.

when you get gelling up happen due to cold weather id say mix some normal diesel in.
think of it like antifreeze.. the more you add the colder it will prevent gelling to.  i use to add about 25L to every 100L down to 0.c lower than that i did 30L and sometimes 35L if it was like -8.c just to be safe.

can always do a bit of experimenting making your own mini mixes and seeing how cold things get by sticking them in the freezer and measuring temperature.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#3 2021-04-08 00:31:25

vaz2121

what JohnDragonMan said ............
I used to stick in about 10% Petrol [benzine] to prevent the Diesel its self gelling {usually German winters back in the day} but that was on full fat sulpher diesel and leaded petrol then  ...........

A  bit of Diesel  or Kero in that cooking oil when it warms up and it'll be fine

{I once by mistake on a twin tank vehicle and twin handled [one either end] pump filled one tank with paraffin [kerosene] and all was fine ..............

#4 2021-04-08 13:25:11

kenbw2

I mix diesel in when temps are below 10C, which seems to be reasonable. But the question here is, is it good to warm up and use once it's gone funny.

I've got a few bottles that went white over winter. I set them aside for use in the warmer months. I'm thinking they're probably alright once they melt again, but I kinda wanna mix it in with good veg to be sure

Last edited by kenbw2 (2021-04-08 13:25:32)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2021-04-08 16:59:15

OAT

Strange thing is that even when warmed well above freezing and shaken up, the white gloop just settled out on the bottom.  It doesn't seem to reincorporate with the rest.  I will decant a bit from each container to allow better agitation, add a bit of diesel and a shot of octane boost and try again.

I was aware of he fact that it thickened with cold but assumed it easily reconstituted afterwards.  I didn't realise how thick it would go though or how resistant to remixing..  It is almost like margarine.

It would be interesting to know if the "gloop" is of any use in producing power anyway.  Might it just be additives and better out than in?

#6 2021-04-08 22:34:42

kenbw2

Ew, I'd be hesitant to use it if it's not mixing back in. Maybe it'd be okay once it's properly heated? Depends how much of it there is, I'd be tempted to write it off and preserve my injector pump

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#7 2021-04-09 00:20:55

vaz2121

I too thought veg oil would turn back into an oil when warmed up enough again......
I can only think it's going a little like  Tallow like you get out of animal fat ...........

As I said in the 80's between 86 and 88 I think ... when in my late 20's just a year or 2 before I bought my own first truck and we'd a job to Germany From Hailwood to Saarlouis  usually 3 trips a fortnight I'd learned [probably the hard way] to stick in about 10% petrol in the diesel.......
I've had Diesel gel {Wax} up on me and go like yogurt in the tank when driving up the road............
{It can even get that thick it goes like candle wax}

Last real memorable  time it happend was Temps of -28/-32c and we'd ended up within half a mile of the East german border the cure was aprox 8 hrs of space heaters another 20 ltrs into the diesel tank of Benzine out the petrol station [Taking us probably closer to 15% to 20% by time it was brimmed off] .............
Diesel returned to normal and off we went again .........

(That's the basics not including My team mate getting aressted...Melting some of the loom when partially set on fire,..me taking off on my ar** or landing up to my waist in snow as I jumped out cab or the puncture I refused to change when my team mate said it's much warmer now it's only -15c ....There was 2 wheels on that hub)

#8 Yesterday 18:26:42

OAT

With the temperature rising and making room in the containers to shake it more aggressively it has recovered as good as new. 

Put a quarter tank of diesel in and toped up with the oil.

The thought of that gunge forming in the pump though will encourage me to be more conservative with the ratio in harsh weather.

Board footer