The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-10 21:41:59

MarkJ171

Speedo/cambelt??

Hi
Ive just bought a Fiat Scudo SX dynamic JTD and was hoping for a little advise please.
Never owned Fiat before btw.
The speedo doesnt work although the fuel and temp gauges are. Any ideas on what it could be or how difficult it is to replace if needed, I would class myself as no expert but above average when it come to competency. Also its done 92k with no paperwork re cam belt,should I just put a new one on for peace of mind? have an isse with sliding door not shutting but already sorted issue through this forum.
Really appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Mark

#2 2021-05-10 22:55:17

JohnDragonMan
Website

Re: Speedo/cambelt??

the speedo is driven from a sensor on the back of the gearbox.. access is best from underneath.. if fuses and what not have already been checked, my advice is to start at that. look for broken wires. i just cant remember the exact location but i think its near the drivers side drive shaft above but on the back of the gearbox.

the cam belt i would replace as soon as you can. these vans are getting on for 10+ years old now, well over the recommended belt changing time. i advise to also replace the water pump, tensioners and coolant.

ive practically rebuilt my van when i bought it because i liked it so much and want it to last. even installed aircon to it! big_smile

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#3 2021-05-11 00:22:36

kenbw2
Administrator

I know the actual dashes can be crap on these vans, I've certainly had the speedo broken and fixed with a replacement dash

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#4 2021-05-11 15:57:58

woodbine

MarkJ171 wrote:

Hi
Ive just bought a Fiat Scudo SX dynamic JTD and was hoping for a little advise please.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. You're in a select group with the SX Dynamic   - I've got a silver/grey metallic 2004. Would be interesting to know if there are any others amongst the forum members.

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#5 2021-05-11 17:52:50

vaz2121

As JohnDragonMan and kenbw2 have said on all counts .........

The binnacle fitted can be very poor and susceptible to failure

Speed pick up is on rear of G/box .......
Around diff area IIRC and will have a wire or two running from plug........

And

Even if you were told cambelt was done last week........
Without supporting evidence put a full kit and waterpump on it...........
At least then you know 1. it's done 2. you have a baseline to work from and although Sh** happens your not taking that uknown leap and chance of doom.......
ASAP  or at least as soon as funds allow.............

If nothing else it's insurance you hope you'll never need and an unnecessary risk other wise..........
Especially after all the effort and money forked out at purchase and expectations ............

Although it's a FIAT and badged as a JTD engine it's really a HDI that's in it ...........

#6 2021-05-11 21:37:52

MarkJ171

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take advise and have a new belt and pump fitted, checking on the motor factors sites am I right in assuming the timing belt kit and pump is going to cost around £150? and probably the same in labour?
Re the speedo I appreciate the info John DragonMan and will start with fuses and the sensor(if I can find it!)

#7 2021-05-11 23:46:56

JohnDragonMan
Website

this was the kit i got for my 1997cc 8v HDI DW10 (BYRHZB - basically the 110bhp turbo intercooled engine)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATES-KP3552 … 3.l4275.c1

good price..

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#8 2021-05-12 00:03:59

vaz2121

MarkJ171 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take advise and have a new belt and pump fitted, checking on the motor factors sites am I right in assuming the timing belt kit and pump is going to cost around £150? and probably the same in labour?
Re the speedo I appreciate the info John DragonMan and will start with fuses and the sensor(if I can find it!)

IMHO~ A Gates Cambelt kit is the Gold Standard, But I would accept a Dayco kit  and on the likes of carparts4less web page if you were to input your reg .......
And try there you'd probably get a Dayco belt kit wih a water pump for around £100 or £120 if not cheaper with the available discount code and free p&p if prepared to wait a few day to arrive...........

There is  cheaper alternatives, Belt kits like INA or SKF which I suppose is better than not at all... If funds are tight ............

£150 for Labour is probably about right if you need someone to do it.......
As JohnDragonMan has said in the past try and hunt out the taxi mechanics as they do them frequently...........

#9 2021-05-12 22:12:51

MarkJ171

Cambelt kit inc water pump sorted at a very reasonable price (£200 fitted)
Door locator on its way via ebay(thats my skill set sorted  smile
Now its just the speedo, the mechanic who did the belt had a look and said it theres a pin on the sencor that didnt seem to be engaged, 2 min job he said to change if I get one, just want to make sure Im buying the right thing, any pointers on that one?
Thanks again people for inputs

#10 2021-05-13 14:58:27

March Hare

My two penneth on the speedo...

I also had one that did not work. It was the speedo clock itself that was bust, the needle would quiver but not move. If your mileage is still clocking up then it's getting a signal ok. If not then your 92k is suspect!

I was able to mix and match parts between two binnacles (got one from a 106 iirc) and make one complete working unit while keeping the correct mileage display. They come apart pretty easy if you're gentle and patient. Changed all the bulbs too while I was in there!

Also bought a GPS speedo for £20 but didn't need it in the end.

Board footer