The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-08 16:45:50

Den 1

Reverse gear woes

I have a bit of a dilemma with my 1999 1.9d dispatch.

Over the last couple of years I have had trouble on and off with a stiff gearchange. A liberal dosing of spray down the selector cables and all over the linkages etc has cured it for a few months at a time but now after the last episode of it misbehaving I have a bit of trouble with reverse gear.

It” feels” like its in via the gear lever, the reversing lights come on but when you release the clutch you can hear it grinding, a heavy tug on the lever stops the noise and it goes into gear but if you release your grip on it it jumps out. When I say  jumps out the gear lever doesn’t fly back into neutral.
I cant work out if the cable is stretched as there is no adjustment on the cable, or reverse syncro in the box has gone. Everything else regarding the gearchange appears to be ok.

I cant see a way of cobbling the cable up to see if I can get any sort of adjustment to confirm that the cable is at fault, 50 quid for a set of cables just to see if that is the problem is not an option.

The van is getting on now but would like another year or 2 out of it so am hoping a member in the know can advise.

Den 1

#2 2021-05-10 13:19:17

vaz2121

Re: Reverse gear woes

There is No adjustment on the cable........
The gear selection is determined by slightly longer or shorter lengths of travel in the gear lever gate...........
If it's selecting all other gears without issue ... it sounds like a worn selector fork ... Hub ETC ......
There could be somewhere in the box to adjust for this but make sure there's plenty oil in box to keep wear to a minimum.....

The other posability is restricted movement in cable thats got lots of Sh** in it and binding it up .........
Try selecting reverse by hand on box........
"Stick lever in reverse and using the weighted lever on the box"...see if it will select home easily the rest of the way ........
Try flushing oil into the cable [Right side IIRC] as well as joints Rather than joints it's self ...

"It could be cable attachments are worn out" .......
Also try lubing gear lever mechanism or does it have slop and need changing for a good used out breakers ..........

I'm afraid it sounds internal to box to me.............
But try the simple stuff first to work it out.........

#3 2021-05-23 16:48:19

Den 1

Thanks vaz2121 for the reply.

"Syncromesh on reverse" I'm afraid was a senior moment..
After disconnecting the cables and double checking everything else  I was still not 100% sure what was the trouble but took a huge gamble and ordered a set of cables.

A few days later they arrived from Germany and I managed to fit them when we finally had a decent bit of weather. Once the old cables were removed completely, I found that I could hardly move them by hand, I think the plastic liner on the inner cable on the one that went to the weighted lever had worn and was coming apart and binding up against the inside of the outer.

Once the new ones were fitted reverse was fine, it does feel at times that the cables have become disconnected the gearchange is so light.
The only thing I have not done yet is to fit the large bung that holds the cables steady through the floor, I’ve tried the usual stuff such as silicon spray and slathering the rubber and the bung with Mr sheen but it’s a tight fit so has been left for now, any tips?

#4 2021-05-23 21:02:52

woodbine

Den 1 wrote:

The only thing I have not done yet is to fit the large bung that holds the cables steady through the floor, I’ve tried the usual stuff such as silicon spray and slathering the rubber and the bung with Mr sheen but it’s a tight fit so has been left for now, any tips?

It's quite tough to try to push the bung in by hand as there's not really much surface area on it to get your hand to it and apply force. Cables get in the way.

When I did mine recently, first I made sure the plastic clip inside bung is properly in place and the ends of it are clipped together ie. closed. Then put some washing up liquid on the clip (smear of silicone grease, etc would also be ideal) and pushed bung into hole until I met resistance. Then I got a claw hammer, gripped the hammer head in my hand and pushed down on the hammer so the end of the handle was applying in force to the bung. Apply force on several different places on the bung and it should snap in. Using the hammer like this means you can concentrate quite a lot of force in small areas on the bung, which is what it needs.

Afterwards I went under the van and checked that the clip was still closed and hadn't come adrift.

Last edited by woodbine (2021-05-23 21:07:33)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#5 2021-05-24 08:02:34

vaz2121

When I fitted my second set of gear change cables after the failure of the first set I pretty much followed what woodbine did/said on refitting bung except i think fitted floor bung second ........
When there was No outside influence or pressure to hamper the fitment in the floor from the cables with them being so thick ...................
I know on the first set I fitted bung last and with certain clip issues (unknown it had opened up) and the thickish cable influence input "I believe" it was a bit of a PITA (Both times were but for diffrent reasons) ......

I dear say you could check out both mine and woodbines adventures on changing the gear change cables on this Forum....

#6 2021-05-24 19:48:15

Den 1

I did do a google search regarding cables and both of your threads came up.
I have the early dispatch and my cables new and old don't appear to have this white clip that you both mention. I will have to take some pics of my cables when I can.

Board footer