The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-24 14:33:49

vaz2121

Looking Backwards

Although never an issue/problem in the UK I Found that the interior rear view mirror in van would potentially cause issues when abroad..........
I had same thing with cars abroad trying to see what's coming at e.g roundabouts and likes  and mirror being in line of sight .............
As never having a rear view mirror in a commecial vehicle for all those years it wasn't a problem to remove for safe keeping and use out side mirrors..........

However parking and reversing into tight spots and NOT using Van in Commecial settings was becoming an issue [With getting older etc]............

Although not fully necessary it was very convenient when/after we fitted a reverse camera to our Fridge Trailer Artic..............
It was a PITA to do and eventually it was switched on permanently with ignition ..........

So I bought the same type again but this time without the need for extensions or the 4 pin cable but normal AV plugs {19ft ? of cable} with trigger wire..........
I used the Trigger Wire backward to feed power to Camera while ignition is on... Rather than to screen on engaging reverse .............

IMG_20210524_111824359.jpeg
I fitted camera to rear N/S door as close to centre line as possible ..........

You can just see the Tek Screws I used .........
I backed out Tek Scerws after they did their thing and used some paint and silicone RTV on holes and remounted Camera (Upside down in mounting ... Flipped image on screen)......

IMG_20210524_111902857_HDR.jpeg
I just ran the cable down the door jam and then into a hole in the door........
(It potentially gets untidy here ... Camera could be mounted in line with or under the line of 3rd brake light So Av and power connectors are hidden).........

Routed across and behind door card and used cable ties matching the tube thing that houses power feeds into door .........

I then found a route under the bed and fed the AV cable through ..........
IMG_20210524_111944885.jpeg
After the bed as seen extra cable is tucked under rug at moment [needs tidying up still] ... But is also under plastic front and sliding door trim and on into fuse box ..................
IMG_20210524_112404541.jpeg
The 306 a car length behind

It was a bit of a pantomime finding a route to wire up screen along with sat nav and cabling it's getting busy ... "I have drilled a hole in dash".........
For some screen size may be an issue ... I've still to decide but it gives a good rear view especially after an overtake............
7 inch screen is quite a bit larger than sat navs 5 inch.....(But I only seemed to have choice of 7 or 4 inch and I wanted 5 inch to match sat nav)

I used gaffer tape around AV and power plugs on both ends of installation to make sure secure .............

#2 2021-05-24 18:12:20

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: Looking Backwards

I see you've set yours up exactly the same place as mine.

I find it much easier to have it pointing down from the top, than facing backwards from the rear. Gives a much better sense of perspective

X1OfMNQ.jpg

Uk9a4w9.jpg

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2021-05-25 14:10:32

vaz2121

kenbw2 wrote:

I see you've set yours up exactly the same place as mine.

I find it much easier to have it pointing down from the top, than facing backwards from the rear. Gives a much better sense of perspective

I must admit it's weird having things like certain road markings flash past on screen in your peripheral vision .........
On thing I had hopped for was some rear vision and the edge at least of the tow bar step in view but It's not a wide enough viewing angle on Camera ...........
Or not enough height on Camera fitment to achieve this .........
I don't know which although I'm not far away on adjustments ..........
I guess I'll just have to accept less than hopped for distance.........

I also have a utility trailer I sometimes pull behind and thought this'll be handy then to ........

But it is very handy to know how much space you've left before you hit........
I haven't as yet caught anyone getting close and wanting to trade paint while driving down road ........
I've seen how close they get/feel anyway at trafic lights or junctions on screen......
That could be down to perspective as you say........

I remounted camera upside down by mistake on fitting [I'll get round to changing it ....one day] ... But flipped image on screen menu....
What if you know is your Camera ... Is it a very wide lens?.......

Although this is a universal [like most] I have a couple Cameras about me ... mostly roof mounting and for other makes of Van ... But I'm kind of committed now on position after drilling  mounting holes  Which I dreaded doing

#4 2021-05-25 14:50:47

kenbw2
Administrator

Ah I wasn't brave enough to drill and bolt mine, it's held by a sticky putty. It's been there a long time though, works well.

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0749KC3XZ

I know what you mean about wanting full coverage, I feel nervous that mine doesn't cover the corners of the van. On my 806 I had dual camera, dual screen which was great. Maybe I'll do that with the van.

How come you have yours on constantly? I have mine wired up to the reverse light

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2021-05-26 01:43:17

vaz2121

It was a deliberate choice to have it on permanently .......... 
It was Some thing I tried on a bike years and years ago .........
[As I mostly saw my sholders and arms in mirrors]
It was an issue to try an keep a small screen dry and fit a camera at rear ......
Rip-off tupperware boxes were useful but we never really found an answer to it all and gave up in end .......

First off  The Camera to act as a better clarity rear view mirror and be handy when towing utility trailer..................
Especially with or without trailer after an over-take............

Although that doesn't happen very often having a DW8 in Van ...........
But every little helps as they say........
And to double up as a reverse assist camera as well as rear view............

Today after luckly finding a dry spot of time [Nearly end of May and so many heavy April showers is it Tee-shirt or pak a mak weather] and having a walk I then repositioned camera to point further down after seeing your post ..........
I at moment got step and towball in view and just about half car length in picture ........

rear-Camera-Van2.jpeg
If left like this I would re-wire to power on only for  the reverse manoeuvre .........
[You can turn guide lines on and off in screen menu]

I'll have to decided which position of the camera is more useful for me ..............

I've also seen a sort of security screen {Might have been a 9"  Split screen} that can give you a choice up to 4 outside images... All-round vision ............
which I thought could be useful in conjunction with perimeter lighting..............

But then I also thought I was getting a bit paranoid about it all ...........

Considering all the Jakey places I slept {and like a baby} in the truck ..........
[Sleeping in a truck according to my partner is different]........

#6 2021-05-29 00:36:22

Casper

On my Maxus i put it over the door but due to the angle of roof to door top i cant have it showing straight down but as soon as object (Neighbours car) appears to his the bottom of the screen i know i have a foot to play with. Camera takes a live feed from reverse light so it only works when in reverse. Also screen takes live from ignition live.

#7 2021-05-29 12:13:06

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

On my Maxus i put it over the door but due to the angle of roof to door top i cant have it showing straight down but as soon as object (Neighbours car) appears to his the bottom of the screen i know i have a foot to play with. Camera takes a live feed from reverse light so it only works when in reverse. Also screen takes live from ignition live.

Yes I see what you mean your screen is live all the time ignition is on and only selecting reverse powers camera up to feed screen ......

My set up has a trigger wire built in to the AV cable and so can be set up that when power is sent to camera from reverse light  if conected it triggers the power to screen as well to see the rearward image thus negating powering screen fom ignition  all the time
currently mine is like yours in that the screen is powered by ignition and also feeds camera via the trigger wire  all the time ignition is live ... In a reverse fashion so to speak ..........

with-trigger-wire.jpg

But as my partners Daughter is visiting for a few days with her grand kids Van is being used as extra accomodation for him and her at moment.......
I bet they'll say brilliant no Fu****g Kids out here ..........

Board footer