You are not logged in.
And washing up liquid is the poorer mans shaving foam.
As I understand it...
The exciter wire turns on the voltage regulator. When unpluged it, should have approx. 12.5 volts with the key on.
The exciter wire gets its power through the amp warning light. Key on, alt stopped, the bulb lights, once the alternator is turning it makes power and the amp light goes off. If the amp light bulb is NG the alt will not see power to energize the field windings, and it won't start charging.
edit... I missed the point about you getting 14v plus on startup at tickover.
You havn't got a non original warning light bulb or an LED replacement by any chance? Apparently the bulbs act as a resistor and LEDS don't work.
Far from an electrician here but my first though was the 12v "exciter" wire.
But I don't think you have one. I think the switching is done by the regulator you have already replaced. Although, if the circuit was not being triped on when charging rpm is reached it would cause this problem.
Hope your mate has a bigger tent. 
Griffin and my MOT recently reminded me that another year has passed and Moniaive Michaelmas Bluegrass Festival has come around again.
I will be going and hope to see a few other "regulars" and anyone else who fancies it. I might even manage to meet Tiree (who first recomended it) after 4 years.
Very laid back, family freindly, event. I think there are more musicians there than audience. No need to pay to see the headliners unless you want too. There is plenty of very good free music in the bars, camp site, etc.
A little more info here :- https://www.moniaivebluegrass.co.uk/about-the-festival
Some of the booked bands :- https://www.moniaivebluegrass.co.uk/
No ticket sales yet but only required if you want to see any of the orginised events as they sell out quickly.
Unlikely to be any need to book the camping unless you want to.
If you don't like bluegrass particurlaly don't be put of. It's not all Carter Family! (Although there is nowt wrong with them.)
It's a very loose lable and there is something for all tastes in the many impromptu jams going on all over the village.
You may know this already but I didn't and it came as quite a shock.
I have never heard them mentioned but surely they could potentialy be behind mystery non starting?
I was looking for the imobiliser keypad reseting instructions when I found this :-
---
1996 1.9TD - keypad immobiliser problem - chindu
Hi, thought I'd give an update - it's finally sorted.
My dad ended up finding the problem with it rather than having to butcher the pump.
After an afternoon checking earthing and cable continuity it actually turned out to be a wire into the inertia switch. It seems that when everything around the battery was disconnected the cable was dislodged.
To make things a bit more difficult the connection wasn't shown on the wiring diagram.
Anyway - it's all back together now and working again!
Thanks for all the suggestions along the way.
---
Tue 5 Feb 2008 22:14 1996 1.9TD - keypad immobiliser problem - Screwloose
An inertia switch on a TD??
---
Wed 6 Feb 2008 20:00 1996 1.9TD - keypad immobiliser problem - chindu
Yup -I know. Back right of the engine bay looking in from the front.
---
Wed 6 Feb 2008 20:19 1996 1.9TD - keypad immobiliser problem - Screwloose
Well, well; I've just found it - on the Lucas-pumped DHY version.
Oddly enough; as there isn't a tank-pump for it to cut, it controls the key-on live to the RIM module on the injector pump - which is where the immobilizer sends it's signal......
---
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post … tm?t=59828
---
So if any untraceable non starting issues are found on these early models, worth checking this switch.
btw... I couldn't find the keypad reseting procedure so just dissconected for now. I know I have posted instructions here in the past but can't now find them.
If anyone knows please post
Well I don't have anything pinned on my map which means there was no shortage of spots. Been a few years though.
And you are far enough south to avoid all the NC500 madness!
Have you checked the curtesy light switch in the door jamb?
Did you sacrifice a goat at midnight?

Yep, quite a few years ago. Not long after the cockle picker tragedy.
Down on the beach but only after getting advice from a local fisherman. He actually sent me further out than I was considering but explained it was the height of the sand banks not how close to shore that mattered. Woken at about 4am by half a dozed rusty and noisy little four wheel ATV's. The high point we were on was also their current route to the cockle banks.
Was more like sleeping on a boat. Water all round apart from a 15meter curve of glistening sand only a foot or so above the water.
NB... I am not recommending anyone camp on Morecambe Bay. May be ok for old farts brought up on fat and woodbines but is likely to mean instant death for the precious little darlings we raise today.
No seriously don't do it. At low tide in the morning, further round towards Arnside, we found a Land Rover embedded in the sand up to the scuttle with everything above that completely washed away.
Humphrey Head is purported to be where thee last wolf in England was killed, btw.
I’ve disconnected the immobiliser plug and the van starts freely now!
My apologies to your mam but happy for your dad. 
You may already know this but just in case not... unplugging only works until the battery is disconnected or goes flat.
Sounds like it might relate to circuit protection within individual devices reacting to erratic startup voltages?
tee-cee's delayed start up is an elegant solution.
It belongs to a young dutch couple who bought if off an older lady, they said.
Apparently it was a professional conversion, but I didnt get a look inside. Anyway the first thing I looked at was the sills, which were pristine. Was interested in the windows were the same as mine (a bugger to fit this size)
No not Devon, but Lake Skhoder in Albania
I was misled by the recent sun shine and the palm trees.
I once had a cracked side window in a van and spent months measuring in the streets and searching catalogues to find a replacement. The slight variations where endless but I eventually found one only differing by 1" in one direction. There was enough door left to cut it in.
Similarly I currently have a broken, non standard fridge vent gaffer taped in place till I find one to match the hole.
Absolutely incredible you’ve still got this in full working order, bravo!!
I can take no credit for this.
Built 98, first reg 99. I have had it and virtually lived in it for over six years and 60,000 miles with not a single breakdown. Usually needs a bit of money spending each MOT but apart from expected wear and tear items nothing regards engine apart from belts, glow plugs, oil and filters.
Without doubt the best vehicle for economy and reliability, and the most suited to my needs I have owned in over 50 years of driving.
I have sleepless nights on the approach of every MOT but I can't find anything to match it in modern vehicles and anything from the days when everything wasn't crap, is way over my price range.
The "dust" turns out to be the sticky residue from the loom wrapping.
I hope by a process of elimination that you will be able get the colors from this.

Torquay?
Yes mine is unfortunately still if use. I fear it failing one day though.

It's getting dark and I didn't notice the fluff. I will dust it off and get a clearer one tomorrow if you can't get the colours of that.
NB... looks like I rotated it 180deg to take that.
You might find something useful from a search in the 1996 - 2006 section. Definitely been a few discussions on the issue.
Most recently:-
https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1752
There are members here using Android heads so I am sure you will get some reply's when they see your post. Not many of us have such new vehicles so it can be a bit quiet down this end of the forum.
Anything here? :-
https://www.eurocarparts.com/engine-mount
edit.... I think not. I see it's the mounting plate you need.
Might be worth asking them.
Hey you declared that that van will outlast you
Neither of us are getting any younger.
You are only hoping that I leave it to you!
For £42 and thinking every year may be it's last, I will continue to use the bare stick.
Ha. That is my Neighbour along the street in that Convoy.
Small world. 
I am sat in it, does that not count?

Overcast mackerel sky in the Borders.
They are all pretty much alike apart from the very cheap ones that take the lightweight tins inside the unit. They are dangerous.
As Capers says, the grills are a usually a waste of space and running on Calor is far cheaper than Gaz. They need different regulators though so check which it has if it comes with one supplied.
Camping Gaz - 2.72kg for £40
Calor under £35 for 7kg