The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-04 03:07:31

tee_cee

Smoking exhaust

Looking for some advice on what to do next with the van  (DW10CD)

When I got it there were soot particles appearing on the back doors. I statrted checking the dpf regeneration cycles and it was typically every 150 miles. There was signs of white or grey smoke and a smell of diesel at startup but this would go after the engine warmed up.
After a few months I started to see clouds of black smoke when accelerating. Local mechanic identified a cracked core in the dpf which was replaced with an after market dpf.
Regens were happening every 30 miles, until it started to emit black smoke - at this point the regen interval went back to 150 miles. The turbo and inlet manifold (lots of carbon deposits for 50k miles) were replaced and the ecu was updated.  Finally the dpf has been replaced with a peugeot original.

So regens are happening every 50 miles now. During all this time there have been no fault codes thrown. I have run all the lexia actuator tests and the only fault is failure to open the egr bypass valve - which I think incorrect as I can see the vacuum solenoid being pulled open.

Whats most concerning is that there are no signs that the van is sick - it runs really well no fault codes no smoke from the exhaust.

So now I am thinking its time to go to the dealer, but I am worried that with lack of fault codes they will start replacing the other major parts, probably starting with the egr.

#2 2020-01-04 03:40:28

vaz2121

Re: Smoking exhaust

Such frequent regens suggest to me lots of soot in exhaust and the ECU detecting the DPF clogging  and having to regen so frequently to clean up its act..........
I'd assume you've checked and changed air filter if required.............

This is a simplistic view on a technical system...........
Is there any airflow restriction to the engines breathing or is it a case of over fueling for the given volume of air (Rolling Coal) ?

#3 2020-01-04 10:25:38

tee_cee

Yes air filter was replaced.
When the dpf was broken soot was gathering in the exhaust and being blown out at higher revs - difficult to tell what was going on. Even more so now that the dpf is collecting it all.
Two different garages mentioned how powerful the engine was - hence the ecu  upgrade to eliminate the possibility of a remap.

#4 2020-01-14 13:19:18

vaz2121

This could be something or nothing........

Got me thinking..........
We've just had an issue on a petrol motor though (faulty cold start sensor)...........

At first I thought MAF (Dirty... faulty Whatever).......
As it should adjust fueling acording to temp/air O2 density ETC........
Hence my first reaction........

Turned out faulty cold start/temp sensor thingy not quite fully turning "choke" off and when up to temp Ran like a bag of Sh** and troublesome hot starts (just like over chokeing in the old days But not enough apparently to flag a fault ).............

I wonder could this be a possibility your experiencing.......
It could answer the get up and go plus the frequent required regens if it's getting a little extra cold start fueling and timing .........

Or it could be talking out my Ar** again

#5 2020-01-15 09:55:53

tee_cee

Thanks for that. I monitored the regens on a long run, so the engine was fully warmed up and still clogging up. Judging by the amount of carbon on the inlet manifold I think that this has been a long running issue, which only became apparent when the DPF cracked.
Anyway I've reluctantly decided to take it to the dealers who in theory should have the resources to analyse the system.
At least if they struggle with lack of visible faults/performance, I should be able to escalate with Peugeot.

Board footer