The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-09-21 18:10:31

brman

Re: My scudo conversion

Yes, although I am not sure how much practice I want at van conversion. It is hard work.... wink

#27 2020-09-22 16:53:45

brman

Some small progress. The interior is insulated but a few more door panels to ply and then I can get onto making the bed etc. To that end I got my wife to compare our double mattress with the inside of the van and she decided that it would be much better use of the space if we had a 4' wide bed rather than the full 4'6". Which is what I told her from the start but better late than never wink

So, mattress attacked with a bread knife. There is no going back now!
cuttingmattress_20200922-1653.jpg

#28 2020-09-22 21:33:31

Casper

Was making my bed today also. All this space and still just going for 4' wide   big_smile

20200922-144233.jpg

#29 2020-09-23 09:07:17

brman

yes, I reckon more than enough. Especially given you cannot fall out of the side so you are not edging towards the middle just in case. I also keep on reminding my wife it is still massively better than a tent for space smile

Yours is looking good. What is the van? It looks like it has lots of straight edges and sides to build to. Something that is sadly lacking in the scudo wink

#30 2020-09-23 16:07:21

Casper

brman wrote:

yes, I reckon more than enough. Especially given you cannot fall out of the side so you are not edging towards the middle just in case. I also keep on reminding my wife it is still massively better than a tent for space smile

Yours is looking good. What is the van? It looks like it has lots of straight edges and sides to build to. Something that is sadly lacking in the scudo wink

Its a coachsmith LDV Convoy. Not as straight as it looks as it starts to turn in at the bottom of the windows then again at the top. Only by an inch or so but still a bugger when sawing ply. You can see the lean in at the back on this picture

20200920-124230.jpg

Last edited by Casper (2020-09-23 22:47:47)

#31 2020-09-23 22:03:19

brman

looks like you have plenty of space to work with though smile

#32 2020-09-23 22:47:28

Casper

brman wrote:

looks like you have plenty of space to work with though smile

Aye. Its about 6'10" wall to wall and around 13' from back of drivers seat to back doors. Its going to be a running project. Get a basic usable camper built then upgrade parts as we go. Made a larger loo to fit a shower, 300w solar on the roof. Looking for a cheap option for heating the water just now.

#33 2020-09-24 18:40:31

brman

It certainly looks like it is going to keep you busy. I think mine is also going to be a running project but I am hoping to soon have a bed so it is theoretically useable. We shall see wink

#34 2020-09-24 19:00:09

brman

btw. some small progress (sort of...) on my van. I printed and fitted a couple of covers for the roof cross member ends.....
ceilingcovers.jpg

#35 2020-09-24 20:41:10

OAT

Casper wrote:

Looking for a cheap option for heating the water just now.

Have you considered the diesel air/water heaters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvy2MwbArQ&t=217s

#36 2020-09-24 22:55:37

Casper

OAT wrote:
Casper wrote:

Thanks for that. The heater was on the cards anyway but never knew about a combo version. Now to find a UK seller.

#37 2020-09-24 23:59:32

kenbw2
Administrator

OAT wrote:
Casper wrote:

I'm debating getting one of these to replace my Propex but it all depends which has the lowest power consumption.

From what I can see, the diesel heaters take 8-10A with the glow plug running in the first 30s, and then about 1 - 1.5A for the fan

My Propex runs at 2A when the fan's running, according toa  thermostat

The diesel heaters I gather can be put on high or low whereas my Propex comes on and off as the temperature rises and drops

So it comes into, which on on balance uses more power?

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#38 2020-09-25 13:40:15

brman

I have no practical experience but, based on those figures, I would have though that the glow plug is the equivelent of 3 minutes of normal running of the heater. I assume you need 30 minutes running or more to heat any decent quantity of water so probably less than 10% of total power use?
If I got that right then I guess the diesel heater will be more efficent on battery overall, probably by about 30%?

I did see one review of the diesel water/air heaters where it appeared to need to run the hot air heating whenever it was heating water. Doesn't sound great to me and would waste a lot of power, assuming the van does not actually need heating.
I don't know how that compares to the propex? Plus I could have misunderstood that!

edit: btw, I think it was also the other way around. ie he needed to run the water pump when the air was heating otherwise the water boiled.

Last edited by brman (2020-09-25 13:41:53)

#39 2020-09-25 18:57:18

brman

Although I have not quite finished the ply lining I decided I wanted to get on with furniture and stuff. Given this is my first camper there is a very high chance I will want to change it after a bit of use. So something quick and easy to make is a good idea.
So, here are some shelves I knocked up earlier......
shelves.jpg

When I say earlier, I mean 6 or 7 years ago when I first got the van!
They are very rough and ready but survived 7 years carrying misc electrical junk  so I thought I might as well reuse them. With a bit of trimming I now have exactly 48" between them and the metalwork above the opposite wheel arch. Just right for the bed smile

Lets hope they survive inspection by my wife tomorrow though  yikes

#40 2020-09-27 17:11:44

brman

Well, the old shelves did not survive. Mostly because I mis-measured the space required for the bed so they do not fit very well. Maybe they will get a reprive later.

It is now starting to look like it might turn into a camper. A part built bed/seat base with a test fit of the mattress halves to make sure they fit. They do, just......
partbuiltseat.jpg

Then an almost complete (ie done bar any cladding ply on the sides of the base) seat base. The top is lift up and removable at the moment but might end up with a hinge later. At the bulkhead there is now a support for that end of the bed base and an infill piece will complete the gap.
bedbox.jpg

There will also be some boxing around the wheel arch to protect it from stuff sliding around but that is not a high priority at the moment.

#41 2020-10-03 17:32:36

brman

The weather is now hampering progress but I am getting there slowly......
The offside "infill" piece. This lifts up to get tall things (like the loo) out from undernearth. It will also lift out completely to allow carrying of large stuff.
osinfill.jpg

Then the rear fixed section. There is space underneath for the waste water container although there is also space for it to the left behind the wheel arch. Cupboards/sink/cooker are likely to be here but all this will wait until we have used the van a few times so we have got a feel for how will will use it.
nsrear.jpg

#42 2020-10-07 18:26:29

brman

Finally the bed bases are done.
These are the fixed bits.... (also showing a coat of varnish on the ceiling, floor and beds)
bedbasesdone.jpg

and this is what it looks like assembled as a bed.....
bedcomplete.jpg
If I did it again I would do some things differently but I am pleased how solid it is.

#43 2020-10-11 19:00:40

brman

Well, it is now done smile Well, not done, but it is now at least usuable!
The removable piece nearest the nearside side door now mounts as a backrest across the offside side door so we now have a useable bench seat.
seatinginuse.jpg
The biggest thing left (apart from the door panels that I keep on forgetting about! ) is some cupboards/selving/table over the nearside wheel arch. That will take a lot of the stuff (cooker, plates, washing up stuff etc) that is currently taking up space under the bed.

But, for this weekend, everything fitted in that we need so we took it out for a couple of day trips. Today being an amble along the south coast near Worthing.
A walk along the beach followed by bacon butties and a cup of tea by the van was a nice relaxing way to spend the day although we did cheat by bringing the washing up home to do. smile

I have to admit that the thing that impressed me most was the toilet (sad, I know...). I have always hated the smell of chemical toilets so we got a Kampa Khazi (which is basically a bucket with seat and lid) , lined the bucket with a bag and sprinkled a handful of compressed pine sawdust pellets (from a pet shop, sold as cat litter) in the bottom. The pine pellets swell an amazing amount to absorb any liquid and, even after being used all day, the only smell was a slight smell of pine sawdust. Way, way better than any chemical toilet I have used plus at the end of the day you are left with a plastic bag that can be tied up and dumped in any household waste (just like a baby's nappy). We do need to get some properly bio-degradeable bin liners to use with it but otherwise I cannot see any downsides.
Oh, and it was great not having the search for a public toilet and then jostle with plague ridden tourists just because I had too much tea with my bacon buttie wink

Anyway, enough about toilets. Apart from the aforementioned door panels and cupboard/shelving etc my wifes main complaint was the soft bench passenger seat as she rolled around a lot on corners. At least, I think it was the seat, not the fact I was driving it like I drive my bmw......
Either way, I think some new seats might be necessary at some point. wink

#44 2020-11-14 15:52:44

vaz2121

brman wrote:

Today being an amble along the south coast near Worthing.

My Sister used to live in Worthing........ Not far from railway station...........
Much later when I was getting a divorce I was Camping out basicly with My parents most of the time ..........
Accidently, I ended up and was based in Lewes on and off for the guts of 15 ...20 Yrs before returning permenantly up here ...........

I did a fair amount of contract work out of Woodgate Dairies later to become Arla foods at Sheffield Park  before it was sold off, Opposite  the Bluebell railway.........

My Sister now lives in Findon Village and Last time we were down (couple yrs now) we stoped off in Bogner...........

On The Esplanade just round the corner from Butlins..........

We had and it seemed to take us forever (looking in at Tat stalls, stopping for ice cream at a kind of Bandstand thing ETC) a walk to get to the Pier and back............

Later on stopped at Marine Park Gardens Much quieter along there and had Bite much later in the day in the Waverley.........

(I've a Friend/ex work colleague who lives in Littlehampton and we did a fair pickle of work to Tesco in Bognor and west Durrington naming a Couple)

A little to busy for me now and can be difficult for Parking up, but I do enjoy facilities when I'm down there

#45 2021-05-01 16:39:05

Stuey

Looks good mate, im going for a similar layout with regards to the sofa/bed position, i prefer this style to the rock and roll beds which i just find so uncomfortable to sit on. My bed is just wide enough for me and the good lady when pulled out and can just manage to get a skinny kitchen with sink/ water containers and fridge squeezed in.

#46 2021-05-01 18:26:17

brman

I'd forgotten about this thread!

Yes, it is surpising what you can fit in. Mine is a 4 foot double bed and I could still just about fit a kitchen unit if I was careful. As it is I just trimmed the shelves and put them back in temporarily. Cooking was done on the floor by the side door which was less of an issue than I expected. In fact, having now used for trips away it did very well. About the only issue was the toilet. Fine during the day but when the bed is out about the only place to use it is on the passenger seat. That worked but watching my wife climbing over the back of the seat and perching on the Khazi was quite amusing smile

Unfortunately the engine is now a bit poorly and I don't have the time to fix it. sad

#47 2021-05-02 22:37:28

Stuey

Just my luck I bought my van in March last year and haven't really been able able to do much with it. Ive pretty much cannabilised everything to fit it out and hardy spent any money on it apart from the insulation and stretch carpet.

Board footer