The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-22 17:36:14

vaz2121

Finally Got round to Gear cable Change

On a few occasions at lights or junctions selecting 3rd gear instead of 1st gear and wondering why it's stalling ...........I decided to bite the bullet and with more impending Lockdown........... Now was as good a time as any

First set of cables  I ordered  were wrong ones (NOS) Got the correct set for my age of Van and engine G/box fitted............

I spent and partly reason why ended up with incorrect cables (wrong age of Van) I spent a long time looking at Van and asking questions..........

DSCF0559.jpeg
This is G/ lever end was first thought was same both ends ........ BUT
DSCF0558.jpeg
This turns out to be the FITTINGS I need for my G/box.............

It became aparent that although I was told you don't need to do anything other than remove G/lever gaiter  .............
If I wanted space room to work ............ Lower half of dash was coming out...............
IMG_20201016_135900051.jpeg
So ended up like this

IMG_20201016_135417932.jpeg
Hope no creaking or squeeking on refitting

From here on I got engrossed and forgot about extra photo's........
I have van up on ramps and after uncliping cable ends went under and fiddled for god knows how long with needle nose pliers etc cables came undone and released from G/box bracket .......I've No Idea what I did exactly..............
I then uncliped from G/lever with the same screwdriver  for both poping off ball head AND removing same kind of clip that holds a Brake pipe secure onto a strut

I then did what I've warned others about .......... I mixed up cable fitting and wondered why it kept popping off fitting ..............

Also I made the mistake at first of routeing New cables under steering rack.......... They go over top............

It turned out as predicted to be a fiddly PITA but a lot of the areas I thought would be bad were easier than thought......
The Rubber bung sealing the floor to Engine bay/Outside Is proving to be the biggest PITA and is still not sealed properly as it started to rain so along with oil change etc service I'll persevere with that and refit dash

On testing the Gear change.............. What an improvement.......... And the play/wear on old cables does not seem as bad as the sloppy change would have suggested

It's going to be one of those jobs you'd wish you did years ago ........... But also until it breaks or in my case selecting 3rd intsead of 1st you don't notice the degradation

#2 2020-10-22 23:47:54

JohnDragonMan
Website

Re: Finally Got round to Gear cable Change

nice some good work that!

when i replaced the clutch and retrofitted air conditioning to my van i pretty much rebuilt everything on the front end, wire brushing, sanding and repainting everything. the gear selector cables was one of the many things i replaced.
yes its a fun job. i did all the wrong things first haha even putting the cables the wrong way around. in the holders then on the wrong ball joints!

glad i do not have to do them again!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#3 2020-10-23 04:33:56

vaz2121

JohnDragonMan wrote:

nice some good work that!

when i replaced the clutch and retrofitted air conditioning to my van i pretty much rebuilt everything on the front end, wire brushing, sanding and repainting everything. the gear selector cables was one of the many things i replaced.
yes its a fun job. i did all the wrong things first haha even putting the cables the wrong way around. in the holders then on the wrong ball joints!

glad i do not have to do them again!

Thank you ............Yes ...........Like wise ...... I saw some of your posts with jelousy at not having your age or energy now  ...... or for that matter when I did .....
Was probibly to busy funneling that energy and time into Imprtant things .........Like Ex MRS, Mortgage, kids etc ................

P.S. I notice your Van originates out of Leeds same as mine

#4 2020-10-23 19:18:17

Shakes

Oh dear. You've got me thinking now...have I also got the wrong cables?  My van is an '04 facelift and these are the cables I ordered last year.

Like you, I haven't got round to fitting them yet.20201023_191527.jpeg

#5 2020-10-24 01:19:41

vaz2121

Shakes wrote:

Oh dear. You've got me thinking now...have I also got the wrong cables?  My van is an '04 facelift and these are the cables I ordered last year.

Like you, I haven't got round to fitting them yet.https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/img/members/409/20201023_191527.jpeg

IIRC your van is a 2.0L HDI ...........You might just be Ok.........

Apparently there are two diffrent types of gearbox and several types of bracket fittings on the cables...........

Gear boxes are A ML5C and Be4r I think .... ml5c cables  for a face lift van around your age/faselift van could be 2444az type which I think is HDI ..........

Mine a DW8  with Be4r type box {306 apparently has a be3r or be3n fitted} .........  cables for van were 2444AY

Partly my problem was my mechanic friends van was a 1999 ..... plus he's now telling me he doesn't remember if they took his reg or used or new ..........

I was told what gear box was in my van  and looked at G/box photo and bracket fittments available on the likes of eB** and compared it visually with mine.........

(It can be done from under bonnet using a torch) ...........

ml5c-box.jpg
This is a ML5C box and the brackets look correct for your fittings .............

I'm now unsure whats what every time  with the 306 I get the wrong Fan belt and lately it's the same with rear wheel cylinders plus it's seems always listed as a HDI not a DW8....
I'm guessing beacuse French or storemans assumptions............

(I must admit about 8 yrs ago I asked for a set of points and condenser my reply was "WHAT !"..... then the more knowledgeable guy came and asked "Are you sure?")

#6 2020-10-24 17:32:33

vaz2121

After spending almost an hour out in the rain starting at 9.15am in a que for the pharmacy as apparently I can do better than the 4 min mile so won't deliver repeat prescriptions (I wonder why we need repeat Scripts).............

As I'm an old Fa** (in my book) and although dried out I couldn't get warmed up till gone 3pm and although damp had started to dry out............

I must be getting good as I disconnected all the cable again and found the reason why the rubber sealing boot was being such a PITA ...........
There's a plastic locking clip and it was opened up and preventing it going in the hole all the way home ang locking off in floor .............

So refitted lock-ring lots of Lube in wash up liquid form (probably to much as things got slippy) around the edge of boot and floor..........

20 mins later and refitted cable ends all popped home and We have all the right gears again for the slots so oil change and rebuild dash and whatever else takes my fancey I guess looks need doing..........

About an hour n half inc fan**ing about ......... today

#7 2020-10-26 23:44:04

AB_70

Great post Vaz. Can’t believe even getting the right cables bus a tricky job yikes

Need to bite the bullet now and get the job done!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 1.9  cool

#8 2021-05-04 15:01:49

vaz2121

I had to take my Partner up to Glasgow for A P.E.T scan [Apparently more detail than CT Scan] to the Beatson within the Gartnavel Hospital on Great Western rd [I was Born NR there at a Materity Hospital on Great Westren rd just after the Botanical gardens at Queen Maragret drive many moons ago]...........
This about 6 or 8 weeks ago......
We decided to go in Van

On the Great Western rd {A82} the gate cable popped off the gear lever.........
At first I thought it was off at the gearbox.....
But with 3rd gear we limped into the Hospital car park ..............
And as luck would have it straight into an empty space............

We got my partner sorted out appointment wise
But by this time she'd [as I agreed] called out the Cavalry..............
On their arrival this is when I discovered it was off at gear lever.............

I'm very much unable to say for certain but the plastic socket onto the gear lever ball looks destroyed and currently held in place with a couple of cable ties........
plastic socket is covered in scratches from a screwdriver...........
Cable will pop on but doesn't stay for on long in use without cable tie ............
I've no Idea why it failed or if it was the breakdown service that did most damage but thats where all the scaring came from.........

So it looks like I'm changing cables again........
As I can't settle for the zip strips/cable ties holding it in place ...........
[It's bound to break and come off in the middle of busy city traffic or similar ]...........

I've at first dug out Original cables and super glued and screwed down where play was evident........
But in the end felt this was a cable tie fix all over again...........
Origonal-gear-cable.jpeg

Origonal-gear-cable-lever-end.jpeg
So I've got van up on ramps again.......
And I'm awaiting the arrival of allegedly a genuine set of PSA cables this time at approx 3 times what last ones cost me

[Which the set I took of may well be the factory {2005} set with the Vans lowish mileage]

#9 2021-05-04 16:07:10

woodbine

Bad luck, Vaz. Why do you think the new cable failed?

I bought an OE Fiat cable set from Ebay as I wasn't sure about quality of cheaper, pattern parts. £76 inc del. Not a difficult job, just a bit fiddly with plenty of dash dismantling. Advice I would give about bung is, to remove it you need to get under the van first and unclip then remove the white plastic collar inside bung. Then the bung will come out easily from inside van. When refitting bung, make sure the clip is in place inside bung and the ends are clipped together.  Then get a claw hammer, hold hammer head in palm of hand and use end of handle to push in different places around the bung and force it into the hole. Should go straight in.

When I refitted those fiddly metal clips that hold the bulbous metal bits to the bracket at rear of gearbox I fed a long screwdriver up from below so screwdiver was vertical and handle below level of bottom of engine/gearbox. Then tapped upwards and the clips went in.

At least second time around, you'll be a lot quicker.     wink

Last edited by woodbine (2021-05-05 00:01:02)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#10 2021-05-04 17:41:00

vaz2121

I have no earthly idea why it popped off......
Other than I did miss match when cables originally hooked this one up ........
And it popped off a couple times at first .....
I wonder if that weakend  the ball and socket fitment .......
So when using it frequently in the middle of the City centre it just gave up the ghost ............
[At least in my friends van the cable physically broke] ...........

The Recovery guy had great difficulty [Lack of space only lifting gaiter] in reseating cable on gear lever ball...........
Hence all the scarring and I imagine why the plastic cable heads looking chewed up from trying to lever it on ball socket and feed cable ties around gear cable with a screwdriver [He broke several cable ties before succeeding to get one on and it broke after about 200 yards and a set of lights ... just as well I had some zip strips but I used a couple linked together and its got me home and the rest].............

#11 2021-05-05 00:03:22

woodbine

Nightmare. Hopefully you get more luck with the new one.

#12 2021-05-06 08:57:52

vaz2121

woodbine wrote:

Nightmare. Hopefully you get more luck with the new one.

So far the rain over the last couple days and cold weather has been really encouraging the thoughts of doing it all again .............
I'm expecting arrival of new cables today or tomorrow and yesterday when I was out for my walk I decided to attack Van..........
The sun was shining and although I didn't want to disable Van I thought go for it... at least there's a bit of warmth in sun.............

After a bite to eat and Running my eldest into town [F*** it's a mad house hardly a Double yellow line to stop on, cars everywhere and it feels dangerous]...........
I disconected cables from gearbox and gear lever and was about to tackle the rubber boot which appears to be locked in better than the one I took out previous.......
Either someone was there before or sh** factory build rushing, But anyway  at this point I threw in towel as I couldn't believe it ... It was snowing [Not for long but long enough although I didn't know it at time... About 25mins at finish up] ......
At first I thought Great it's raining ...wait tha's Fu****g Snow it turned to rain after though not much but enough to wet everything...........

So far today doesn't look any better it's bright but everything is wet and some Heavy sky is moving in......
Still we'll see what happens ... No rush now for us over next week or two ............

#13 2021-05-07 13:56:38

woodbine

Rain stopped play!

How did you try to take the rubber boot out, Vaz? Did you go underneath and open the plastic clip up inside boot with a screwdriver and pull clip out?

DSC01724.jpeg

#14 2021-05-07 17:41:28

vaz2121

Originally [First cable change] I just unhooked evrything and rubber boot came out but when refitting the then new set the boot proved a real PITA Because the said plastic clip had become undun........
As soon as I clipped it back together it all fell into place relatively easy with a bit of wash up liquid for lube.....

However New allegedlly PSA cables arrived today just about lunch time......
And it had been raining as usual but as it dried off I was fitting a reverse camera to hopfully have turned on permanently as a rear view mirror ..................
Seeing as half the dash was out again I took advantage............
But that's another story for another time when  plumed in..........

For whatever reason couldn't help myself it cetainly wasn't planned ....
It just so happened I got out a sheet of carboard as it was fairly dry under Van
This time I some how managed to unhook the clip with a screwdriver ...
[A bit touchy feely]
The clip was on O/S IIRC and I then just gave cables a good tug inside and clip was on ground......
I have to say the rubber bung has again proven to be the biggest PITA  again and this time i'm not 100% sure it's fully locked home at top but I heard a click using your Method of holding claw hammer head for purchase which I didn't need to last time.......
I'm now leaving well alone as it looks good ...........

I wonder if this means tighter fitting.........
I guess time will tell............

Of all things I had to lever off the ofending cable but you can see damage to socket ... when compared.............
IMG_20210507_1640423541.jpeg

Yet again not much but probably amplified in use ...........
Still new genuine one allegedly again is on lets see what happens now.........
And I've got reverse camera to finish up along with dash rebuild ..........

#15 2021-05-07 22:09:58

woodbine

Yes, right faff, especially the boot and those metal clips on gearbox bracket. I used some Fairy too on the boot's clip to help push it home, and still wasn't sure it was locked in until I put my hand up from underneath van to feel it hadn't come undone and was locked in. I'm sure there's a knack to it.

#16 2021-05-08 13:52:06

vaz2121

I have the BE4R G/box [1.9D] Not the ML5C [2.0 HDI] IIRC...
So I only have those clips on G/Lever end and the slot retaining ring thing caught in the mounting and was quite hard to remove and seat properly to fit the clip ...............

As no fitting instructions come with cables ........
What I did and it was slightly different than fitting last time... It was locate G/lever end into slots but NOT connect ............
I also put a little gaffer tape round both ends to remind me of gate change cable [left] ...{Appears sightly longer at G/lever end and obviously shorter at other end}......
Where I went wrong last time on fitting............
{My excuse is "cable swapped ends"}......
Then through floor and connecting rubber bung into floor ...........
Then G/lever connection.........
And last the G/box.....

The taped cable Helped/reminded me that it was the gate cable[movement across G/box pattern.... i.e. 2nd across to 3rd] was the left fitting..........
The plastic fitments that go on the G/box mountings are coded black and white .............
[But easier identified with the tape than memorising]
on the box I have a serated teeth sort of fitting to hold cable in place that can be problematic, But only really on removal.......
On fitting Just so long as you get a good two or three clicks and it's seated home ... All should be Ok.......

IIRC ...Last time it was rubber bung I fitted last...........
However both times a PITA ..............

I see we have rain again today......... Wonderful

#17 2021-05-24 14:52:31

vaz2121

Not done any real mileage in Van since Gearcables changed again ............
But Next to all of it was in town stop start and so far so good as they say ........
Had the Gaiter popped up and all looks as it's meant to so far under there ...........

My partners Daughter is to be visiting for a few days .........
So currently it's Van laundry sorting as a spare bedroom for him and her

Board footer