The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-22 17:36:14

vaz2121

Finally Got round to Gear cable Change

On a few occasions at lights or junctions selecting 3rd gear instead of 1st gear and wondering why it's stalling ...........I decided to bite the bullet and with more impending Lockdown........... Now was as good a time as any

First set of cables  I ordered  were wrong ones (NOS) Got the correct set for my age of Van and engine G/box fitted............

I spent and partly reason why ended up with incorrect cables (wrong age of Van) I spent a long time looking at Van and asking questions..........

DSCF0559.jpeg
This is G/ lever end was first thought was same both ends ........ BUT
DSCF0558.jpeg
This turns out to be the FITTINGS I need for my G/box.............

It became aparent that although I was told you don't need to do anything other than remove G/lever gaiter  .............
If I wanted space room to work ............ Lower half of dash was coming out...............
IMG_20201016_135900051.jpeg
So ended up like this

IMG_20201016_135417932.jpeg
Hope no creaking or squeeking on refitting

From here on I got engrossed and forgot about extra photo's........
I have van up on ramps and after uncliping cable ends went under and fiddled for god knows how long with needle nose pliers etc cables came undone and released from G/box bracket .......I've No Idea what I did exactly..............
I then uncliped from G/lever with the same screwdriver  for both poping off ball head AND removing same kind of clip that holds a Brake pipe secure onto a strut

I then did what I've warned others about .......... I mixed up cable fitting and wondered why it kept popping off fitting ..............

Also I made the mistake at first of routeing New cables under steering rack.......... They go over top............

It turned out as predicted to be a fiddly PITA but a lot of the areas I thought would be bad were easier than thought......
The Rubber bung sealing the floor to Engine bay/Outside Is proving to be the biggest PITA and is still not sealed properly as it started to rain so along with oil change etc service I'll persevere with that and refit dash

On testing the Gear change.............. What an improvement.......... And the play/wear on old cables does not seem as bad as the sloppy change would have suggested

It's going to be one of those jobs you'd wish you did years ago ........... But also until it breaks or in my case selecting 3rd intsead of 1st you don't notice the degradation

#2 2020-10-22 23:47:54

JohnDragonMan
Website

Re: Finally Got round to Gear cable Change

nice some good work that!

when i replaced the clutch and retrofitted air conditioning to my van i pretty much rebuilt everything on the front end, wire brushing, sanding and repainting everything. the gear selector cables was one of the many things i replaced.
yes its a fun job. i did all the wrong things first haha even putting the cables the wrong way around. in the holders then on the wrong ball joints!

glad i do not have to do them again!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: There's always user serviceable parts inside. Internally rust proof the sills! both skins!!. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#3 2020-10-23 04:33:56

vaz2121

JohnDragonMan wrote:

nice some good work that!

when i replaced the clutch and retrofitted air conditioning to my van i pretty much rebuilt everything on the front end, wire brushing, sanding and repainting everything. the gear selector cables was one of the many things i replaced.
yes its a fun job. i did all the wrong things first haha even putting the cables the wrong way around. in the holders then on the wrong ball joints!

glad i do not have to do them again!

Thank you ............Yes ...........Like wise ...... I saw some of your posts with jelousy at not having your age or energy now  ...... or for that matter when I did .....
Was probibly to busy funneling that energy and time into Imprtant things .........Like Ex MRS, Mortgage, kids etc ................

P.S. I notice your Van originates out of Leeds same as mine

#4 2020-10-23 19:18:17

Shakes

Oh dear. You've got me thinking now...have I also got the wrong cables?  My van is an '04 facelift and these are the cables I ordered last year.

Like you, I haven't got round to fitting them yet.20201023_191527.jpeg

#5 2020-10-24 01:19:41

vaz2121

Shakes wrote:

Oh dear. You've got me thinking now...have I also got the wrong cables?  My van is an '04 facelift and these are the cables I ordered last year.

Like you, I haven't got round to fitting them yet.https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/img/members/409/20201023_191527.jpeg

IIRC your van is a 2.0L HDI ...........You might just be Ok.........

Apparently there are two diffrent types of gearbox and several types of bracket fittings on the cables...........

Gear boxes are A ML5C and Be4r I think .... ml5c cables  for a face lift van around your age/faselift van could be 2444az type which I think is HDI ..........

Mine a DW8  with Be4r type box {306 apparently has a be3r or be3n fitted} .........  cables for van were 2444AY

Partly my problem was my mechanic friends van was a 1999 ..... plus he's now telling me he doesn't remember if they took his reg or used or new ..........

I was told what gear box was in my van  and looked at G/box photo and bracket fittments available on the likes of eB** and compared it visually with mine.........

(It can be done from under bonnet using a torch) ...........

ml5c-box.jpg
This is a ML5C box and the brackets look correct for your fittings .............

I'm now unsure whats what every time  with the 306 I get the wrong Fan belt and lately it's the same with rear wheel cylinders plus it's seems always listed as a HDI not a DW8....
I'm guessing beacuse French or storemans assumptions............

(I must admit about 8 yrs ago I asked for a set of points and condenser my reply was "WHAT !"..... then the more knowledgeable guy came and asked "Are you sure?")

#6 2020-10-24 17:32:33

vaz2121

After spending almost an hour out in the rain starting at 9.15am in a que for the pharmacy as apparently I can do better than the 4 min mile so won't deliver repeat prescriptions (I wonder why we need repeat Scripts).............

As I'm an old Fa** (in my book) and although dried out I couldn't get warmed up till gone 3pm and although damp had started to dry out............

I must be getting good as I disconnected all the cable again and found the reason why the rubber sealing boot was being such a PITA ...........
There's a plastic locking clip and it was opened up and preventing it going in the hole all the way home ang locking off in floor .............

So refitted lock-ring lots of Lube in wash up liquid form (probably to much as things got slippy) around the edge of boot and floor..........

20 mins later and refitted cable ends all popped home and We have all the right gears again for the slots so oil change and rebuild dash and whatever else takes my fancey I guess looks need doing..........

About an hour n half inc fan**ing about ......... today

#7 2020-10-26 23:44:04

AB_70

Great post Vaz. Can’t believe even getting the right cables bus a tricky job yikes

Need to bite the bullet now and get the job done!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 1.9  cool

Board footer